Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Husband's Are Great

At our wedding ceremony. Washing our feet as a commitment to serve each other in our marriage.

When I was younger my idea of a husband was someone I could kiss whenever I wanted, pay for things I desired, build things all manly like, and provide for the family. Now that God has blessed me with my wonderful Husband Keven, He's opening my eyes to something far more greater than whatever thoughts I previously had. Most marriages may not have the goggles of appreciation that many should, but rather they look at their spouse as an object. Whether that object is another income, a way to reproduce, or a way to not feel lonely, it's saddening to me that spouse's do not look at the other with much care and appreciation for what they do. I've been doing a lot of thinking with all this free time since graduating, and I realize why my husband is so great. (These, are just a few!)

1. My Best Friend
We've known each other since 2006, and talked for seven months getting to know each other before we even considered dating. When I look back at some of our conversations I remember letting my judgment shield down, and acting as weird as I could get at times. I felt comfortable enough to act goofy over the phone because he never judged me (in fact, he's one of the main causes for my true weird side coming out). Over that past 7 years he has always been there for me, supporting and encouraging me in good times and bad. I can talk to him about anything (which is healthy in a relationship, especially one as important as a marriage) good or sad and know that he's listening and giving meaningful advice.

2. Chores
Somehow society has filled our minds with the logic that it is the man's chore to take out the trash. Maybe it's because it's the simplest chore around the house to do, nonetheless, it's one that I just loathe doing. (I have taken out many bags of trash over the past 10 months of living together, usually because Keven is at work and I don't want it to overflow, but when he's around I always use him as the go to guy to make sure it's taken out). He is also great at helping me clean our teeny tiny kitchen. Some days I'm exhausted and have no interest in tackling the pile of dishes that have accumulated for half a week (don't judge: we've all had those moments where something else sounds better than cleaning), and out of his love for me he doesn't even complain, he'll just get up and start tackling the pile so I can rest. It's also great having him as my hubs because when I see any bug around the apartment I know he'll step up and take care of them. Now these are all things that I'm perfectly capable of doing, but it's sooooo wonderful having someone else that is willing to help out and make life more enjoyable! (hmmm, it's like that's what we were created for, to be a helper to our spouse...)



3. On the Road Again
One of my earlier posts mentioned about how hectic our month has been since it's required many road trips. I have had my license for 5 years, but if I don't have to drive four hours somewhere that is fabulous! Before we were married, when we had breaks from school, I looked forward to going home, just not driving the four hours required to get there. But now I love the trips more, because Keven is beside me (9 times out of 10 driving) and I typically get to rest (aka sleep the entire time because if we aren't talking it's impossible for me to stay awake in a car). Before the trips consisted of conversations filled with the stressful amounts of school work still to be done, or how we didn't want the trip to end because we would have to face reality of school. Instead they are now filled with what we think the Lord has in store for us career wise, or how many kids we would want the Lord to bless us with, or how we would raise those kids, or what types of holiday traditions would be best. Since it's just the two of us for at least 3 hours, there are less distractions, which gives us quality time to converse!

4. Dinners and Misc.
Since my Nannying job goes until 6 or 8 pm, when Keven isn't working he is more than willing to make dinner. This is another huge blessing, because after watching 3 kids for a few hours, and driving an hour daily, I get tuckered out fast. It's so wonderful that he's available to provide a hot meal for me when I get home, instead of me walking through the door and stressing out about starting dinner and eating really late. Also, if we have people coming over and I know some things need to be straightened up, I'll send him a quick text like "Oh, ____ is coming over, please straighten up the table, organize my canvases and art supplies, fold the blankets, and make sure the bathroom is decent" to which is replies "Ok, no problem! I'll take care of it". He could get frustrated that he has to clean on his day off, or that he has to tidy up instead of napping or playing a video game or whatever he has planned. However, he does not let my list ruin his day, because he knows how much stress is lifted from me.

Our God is a great God! He knew exactly what He was doing when He created Adam, and then created Eve to be his helper. I'm so glad God created us for the purpose of helping each other, and I'm so thankful that I have a wonderful helper. It saddens me to think of how most marriages don't view their spouse in this way, probably because said spouse is not willing to be self less to help out the other. If I can give any advice it would be this: look at your spouse as the helper God intended for them to be. If you are overwhelmed with all the household chores you juggling, along with running your kids to misc. event, all while trying to make sure you feed everyone and the fish, bring it to your spouse's attention. By your spouse helping you out with what you need to get done, you can in return help them out with a project they may be tackling for work. You were intended to be a team, not to be two random players occupying the court.

No comments:

Post a Comment